HP Color LaserJet 4600 and 5500 Series Printers 49.xxxx Errors
49.XXXX errors, including 49.FF04, 49.FF07, 49.FF08, 49.FF09, could be hardware errors. Ensure that the 49.XXXX error is a hardware failure and not caused by third party memory, improperly installed or third party EIO devices or a specific print job and/or software application.
1. Verify that the formatter light is blinking or steady. If the formatter is blinking, it is functioning properly and probably does not need to be replaced. If the formatter light is not blinking, proceed to Step 2.
2. Turn off the printer and unplug the power cord.
3. Remove the HP Jetdirect card, third-party device, hard disk, parallel cable, or IFR cable from the Formatter if one is installed.
4. If the error continues with accessories removed from the formatter, perform a cold reset on the printer. To perform a cold reset, do the following:
Turn on the printer.
Watch the control panel.
When the memory starts counting, press and hold the green (Select) button.
Continue holding the green check button until the Ready, Data, and Attention lights flash once, and then stay on steady.
Release the check button when the Ready, Data, and Attention light are on steady.
The control panel will display SELECT LANGUAGE.
Press (Down Arrow) button once. The control panel will display COLD RESET.
Press (Select). The printer will perform a cold reset and then continue its power-on sequence.
5. If the printer comes up to ready, print a Configuration page. If a 49 error occurs from printing internal pages, continue on to the next step
6. Turn the printer off and unplug the power cord.
7. Remove the eight screws around the formatter.
8. Remove the formatter. See Figure 1.
9. Reseat the firmware and memory modules on the formatter. Check for any DIMMs that are non-HP and remove them. Non-HP DIMMs are not supported by HP and may cause this error. Replace with HP DIMMs, if necessary.
10. Reseat the daughter (interconnect) board. The daughter board is connected to the formatter behind EIO slot #1. To release the daughter board, push in the black retaining tab underneath the formatter (see Figure 1, call-out 1) then lift up the one side of the daughter board.
Figure 1: Lifting up the daughter (interconnect) board on the formatter
1 - Black retaining tab underneath the formatter
11. Reseat the daughter board. See Figure 2.
Figure 2: Reseating the daughter board
12. Install the formatter.
13. Turn the printer on again.
14. If it comes up to READY, print a configuration page. If a 49 error does not appear from printing internal pages, or at power up, continue to the next step. If a 49 error does appear printing internal pages, dispatch service to replace the formatter.
Simplex formatter part number: C9660-67911
Duplex formatter part number: C9661-69001
15. Install the Jetdirect card and hard disk before installing the formatter. Verify that each device is properly seated.
16. Test any EIO devices, by turning off the printer, installing each device separately, and printing a configuration page. Repeat for each EIO device.
17. If the 49 error occurs with any EIO device installed, replace that EIO device.
© 2005 Hewlett-Packard