Life span of the OPC Drum Cartridge is up to 45,000 continuous monochrome or 11,250 continuous four-color pages, or 10,000 intermittent (one-page jobs) monochrome or 7,500 intermittent color pages.
If the printer has indicated that the unit is low/empty/depleted, then you need to purchase a BRAND NEW unit and install it.
When the waste toner bottle becomes full, the message WASTE TONER BOX FULL (in the printer panel for magicolor 2300 DL) or REPLACE WASTE TONER (in the printer panel for magicolor 2350EN), Waste Toner Box full (in the Status Display for the magicolor 2300W) appears. The printer will stop and will not start again until the waste toner bottle is replaced.
When the OPC drum is worn out, the message DRUM CARTRIDGE END OF LIFE (in the printer panel for magicolor 2300 DL) or REPLACE OPC DRUM (in the printer panel for magicolor 2350EN) or Drum Cartridge End of Life (in the Status Display for magicolor 2300W) appears. Printing can continue even after this message appears; however, since print quality is reduced, the OPC drum cartridge and waste toner bottle should be replaced immediately.
The OPC drum is extremely sensitive to bright light and direct sunlight. Always leave it in its protective bag until you’re ready to install it. Any exposure to light should be avoided, or permanent damage could result. Any damage resulting from mishandling of the OPC drum will void the warranty of the OPC drum. Also, handle the cartridge carefully by its sides so you don’t touch the surface (the green part) of the drum. The drum is also extremely sensitive to hand oils and scratches, both of which reduce print quality.
When you replace the OPC drum cartridge and waste toner bottle after one of the above messages displays in the message window, the printer automatically resumes printing after a calibration cycle (up to 150 seconds).
The OPC drum life is directly related to the number of rotations of the drum. Longest drum life is achieved with continuous printing. Intermittent printing with small job sizes requires cleaning rotations before and after each job, and subsequently will impact OPC life.
The items to be replaced are
Waste toner bottle
OPC drum cartridge
If one item needs to be replaced, also replace the other item.
The steps are
Remove the used waste toner bottle
Remove the used OPC drum cartridge
Install the new OPC drum cartridge
Install the new waste toner bottle
Remove the Used Waste Toner Bottle
1. Open the printer’s front door.
2. Grasp the waste toner bottle’s handle and lift it up, and then carefully remove the waste toner bottle. Keep the waste toner bottle upright so the toner does not spill.
3. Remove the two caps by turning them counterclockwise.
4. Secure the two caps onto the two holes by turning them clockwise.
Dispose of the used waste toner bottle properly according to your local regulations (do not dispose of it by burning).
Remove the Used OPC Drum Cartridge
1. With the front door open and the waste toner bottle removed, rotate the transfer belt unit release lever clockwise to the top (11 o’clock) position. This raises the transfer belt unit.
2. Grasp the release lever for the OPC drum cartridge, and then pull the cartridge straight out about 6 inches (152 mm). See additional images below to ensure you are pressing the correct place for the release lever (the grooved area under the OPC drum release lever). Make sure that the black grooved area on the bottom of the OPC drum release lever is moving upward when you press on it. If you do not feel it move upward, the OPC drum will not release.
3. Support the bottom of the drum with your hand, then carefully pull the cartridge toward you and remove it.
Dispose of the cartridge properly according to your local regulations.
Install the New OPC Drum Cartridge
1. Remove the new OPC drum cartridge from its carton.
Keep the protective sheet on the cartridge. Do not touch the protective sheet
on the photosensitive (green) surface or scratch the surface. This could lower
Make sure the transfer belt release lever is still set to its top position
2. Holding the OPC drum cartridge level, place the front end of the OPC drum
cartridge guide into the rail.
3. Carefully push the OPC drum cartridge in. When installing the OPC drum cartridge,
be sure not to press on the release lever. If the lever is pressed during installation,
the lock is released, and the cartridge is not installed correctly.
The cartridge should slide easily into the printer. Don’t force it.
4. Press on the front handle of the OPC drum cartridge with one hand and hold the handle of the OPC protective cover with the other hand.
5. Peel the protective cover handle straight toward you.
6. Turn the transfer belt release lever counterclockwise to its correct position (7 o’clock). This lowers the transfer belt.
If the transfer belt release lever is not at its correct position (7 o’clock), the waste toner bottle cannot be installed.
Install the New Waste Toner Bottle
1. Remove the new waste toner bottle from its carton.
2. Insert the bottom of the waste toner bottle (1) into its installation position in the printer.
3. Push the top of the waste toner bottle (2) into position until it is firmly seated.
4. Close the printer’s front door. If the waste toner bottle is not correctly installed or the transfer belt release lever is at its top position (11 o’clock), the front door cannot be closed.
The printer must complete a calibration cycle (up to 150 seconds) after any consumable has been replaced. If you open the door before the message window reads IDLE, the printer stops and repeats the calibration cycle after closing the door again.